On 2017/08/26 1:43, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 11:25 PM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.ets...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
I agree, but I wonder if we ought to make it work first using the
existing APIs and then add these new APIs as an optimization.

I'm not sure that's a good idea because that once we support INSERT
tuple-routing for foreign partitions, we would have a workaround: INSERT
INTO partitioned_table SELECT * from data_table where data_table is a
foreign table defined for an input file using file_fdw.

That's true, but I don't see how it refutes the point I was trying to raise.

My concern is: the existing APIs can really work well for any FDW to do COPY tuple-routing? I know the original version of the patch showed the existing APIs would work well for postgres_fdw but nothing beyond. For example: the original version made a dummy Query/Plan only containing a leaf partition as its result relation, and passed it to PlanForeignModify, IIRC. That would work well for postgres_fdw because it doesn't look at the Query/Plan except the result relation, but might not for other FDWs that look at more stuff of the given Query/Plan and do something based on that information. Some FDW might check to see whether the Plan is to do INSERT .. VALUES with a single VALUES sublist or INSERT .. VALUES with multiple VALUES sublists, for optimizing remote INSERT, for example.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita