On 2017/09/04 21:32, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Amit Langote
By the way, if you want to get rid of PartitionedChildRelInfo, you can do
that as long as you find some other way of putting together the
partitioned_rels list to add into the ModifyTable (Append/MergeAppend)
node created for the root partitioned table.  Currently,
PartitionedChildRelInfo (and the root->pcinfo_list) is the way for
expand_inherited_rtentry() to pass that information to the planner's
path-generating code.  We may be able to generate that list when actually
creating the path using set_append_rel_pathlist() or
inheritance_planner(), without having created a PartitionedChildRelInfo
node beforehand.

AFAIU, the list contained RTIs of the relations, which didnt' have
corresponding AppendRelInfos to lock those relations. Now that we
create AppendRelInfos even for partitioned partitions, I don't think
we need the list to take care of the locks.
I don't think so either. (Since I haven't followed discussions on this thread in detail yet, I don't understand the idea/need of creating AppendRelInfos for partitioned partitions, though.)

Though I haven't read the patch yet, I think the above code is useless.
And I proposed a patch to clean it up before [1].  I'll add that patch to
the next commitfest.

+1.
+1. Will Fujita-san's patch also handle getting rid of partitioned_rels list?

No. The patch just removes the partitioned_rels list from nodeModifyTable.c.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita