On 2017/09/05 13:20, Amit Langote wrote:
On 2017/09/04 21:32, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:

+1. Will Fujita-san's patch also handle getting rid of partitioned_rels list?

As Fujita-san mentioned, his patch won't.  Actually, I suppose he didn't
say that partitioned_rels itself is useless, just that its particular
usage in ExecInitModifyTable is.

That's right. (I thought there would probably be no need to create that list if we created AppendRelInfos even for partitioned partitions.)

We still need that list for planner to
tell the executor that there are some RT entries the latter would need to
lock before executing a given plan.  Without that dedicated list, the
executor cannot know at all that certain tables in the partition tree
(viz. the partitioned ones) need to be locked.  I mentioned the reason -
(Merge)Append.subplans, ModifyTable.resultRelations does not contain
respective entries corresponding to the partitioned tables, and
traditionally, the executor looks at those lists to figure out the tables
to lock.

I think so too.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita