Hi Jeff,

On 09/05/2017 03:47 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
I ran pgbench (-M prepared) with synchronous_commit 'on' and 'off' using
both logged and unlogged tables. Also ran an internal benchmark which
didn't show anything either.

What scale factor and client count? How many cores per socket?  It looks
like Sokolov was just starting to see gains at 200 clients on 72 cores,
using -N transaction.

I have done a run with scale factor 300, and another with 3000 on a 2S/28C/56T/256Gb w/ 2 x RAID10 SSD machine; up to 200 clients.

I would consider the runs as "noise" as I'm seeing +-1% for all client counts, so nothing like Yura is seeing in [1] for the higher client counts.

I did a run with -N too using scale factor 300, using the settings in [1], but with same result (+-1%).

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/d62d7d9d473d07e172d799d5a57e7...@postgrespro.ru

Best regards,
 Jesper