Hi!
Thank you for your interest and experiment results.
> 13 сент. 2017 г., в 15:43, Ants Aasma <ants.aa...@eesti.ee> написал(а):
>
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Andrey Borodin <x4...@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>> When we have accumulated diff blocknumbers for most of segments we can
>> significantly speed up method of WAL scanning. If we have blocknumbers for
>> all segments we can skip WAL scanning at all.
>
> Have you measured that the WAL scanning is actually a significant
> issue? As a quick experiment I hacked up pg_waldump to just dump block
> references to stdout in binary format. It scanned 2.8GB of WAL in 3.17
> seconds, outputting 9.3M block refs per second. WAL was generated with
> pgbench, synchronous commit off, using 4 cores for 10 minutes - making
> the ratio of work from generating WAL to parsing it be about 750:1.

No, I had not done this measurement myself. Sure, parsing WAL, when it is in
RAM, is not very expensive. Though, it can be even cheaper before formatting
WAL.
I just want to figure out what is the best place for this, if backuping exec is
sharing CPUs with postmaster.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.