I had a brief look at DB2's row_number function which seems to be pretty useful.
What it does is:

test=# SELECT row_number(), relname FROM pg_class LIMIT 3;
 row_number |    relname
          1 | pg_description
          2 | pg_group
          3 | pg_proc
(3 rows)

This makes sense to me and I need this feature from time to time. My question is: How do I find out when a query starts? Inside a table function I can call SRF_IS_FIRSTCALL() to see when it is called first. Is there an easy way to check that inside an "ordinary" C function returning just one value?
Currently my function counts the number of times it has been called per connection. I could write a second function for resetting the counter but this is not too smart ...

Regards,

Hans

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706; +43/664/233 90 75 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at