Hi,

Attached new patch-set here. Changes include:

1. Added separate patch for costing Append node as discussed up-front in the
patch-set.
2. Since we now cost Append node, we don't need
partition_wise_agg_cost_factor
GUC. So removed that. The remaining patch hence merged into main
implementation
patch.
3. Updated rows in test-cases so that we will get partition-wise plans.

Thanks

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Jeevan Chalke
> <jeevan.cha...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >

> > I didn't get what you mean by regression here. Can you please explain?
> >
> > I see that PWA plan is selected over regular plan when enabled on the
> basis
> > of costing.
> > Regular planning need a Result node due to which costing increases where
> as
> > PWA don't need that and thus wins.
>
> Sorry for not clearly explaining,  I meant that with normal plan
> execution time is 263.678 ms whereas with PWA its 339.929 ms.
>
> I only set enable_partition_wise_agg=on and it switched to PWA and
> execution time increased by 30%.
> I understand that the this is the worst case for PWA where
> FinalizeAggregate is getting all the tuple.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dilip Kumar

Jeevan Chalke
Technical Architect, Product Development
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company