To support some of the logging changes I'm working on, I propose to add the following members to struct Port, unless anyone objects - these are all calculated in postmaster/postmaster.c:

 struct tm session_start;
 char * remote_host;
 char * remote_port;

Question: In setting these is it better to call strdup() or pstrdup() - the code comments aren't entirely clear on that.

Another thing:

I've noticed an inconsistency in calls to gettimeofday(): sometimes it is passed a struct tz (which is ignored) as the second argument, and sometimes NULL as the second argument. My understanding is that the second argument is basically useless anyway - on my Linux box man gettimeofday says this:

 The  use  of  the timezone struct is obsolete; the tz_dsttime field has
 never been used under Linux - it has not been and will not be supported
 by  libc or glibc.

I therefore propose to clean this up in the following places:

 backend/commands/vacuum.c
 backend/utils/adt/nabstime.c
 backend/postmaster/postmaster.c (3)

(I know it's a minor nit, but what the heck?)

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings