How about reporting the current DateStyle in such messages? Then it should be clear if the date parse failed because of a mismatch.

andrew

Tom Lane wrote:

"Mendola Gaetano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

May I also suggest to change in date.c the 3 generic error:
"invalid input syntax for date: "
with more comprensive messages ?

That's easier said than done; there are enough different valid syntaxes
that it's not always obvious what the user's intent was. (Indeed, the
reason for this change was exactly that the code was guessing wrong too
much of the time.) See also the thread at http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2003-08/msg00113.php

I'm currently thinking about reporting "invalid syntax" if
ParseDateTime() fails and "invalid field value" if the various Decode()
routines fail, but I'm quite unsure that that will be helpful ...

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?