I am seeing a slow but steady growth of the backend process on a Linux
box (RHL 8.0) --- top shows it growing a few K every few seconds.

But I see *zero* growth with the same test on HPUX 10.20.

A possible wild card is that the Postgres build I'm using on the Linux
box is compiled for profiling (-pg, no --enable-debug or --enable-cassert)
whereas the HPUX build has --enable-debug and --enable-cassert but no
profiling.  I'm not aware that there's any known memory leakage in
Linux' profiling support, though.

Can anyone else reproduce this, or confirm they don't see it?  What
platform, and what configure options?

I have tried it on our Ultra Sparc 10 running Debian (Woody).
Same problem.
The postmaster starts at around 2.2mb and keeps allocating memory :(
Maybe I can test it on AIX within the next two weeks (still waiting for the machine to come).

Regards,

Hans

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706; +43/664/233 90 75 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at