Bruce Momjian wrote:

We have avoided doing dns lookups from pg_hba.conf, and hence the use of
127.0.0.1 instead of localhost.  Now that we cache pg_hba.conf, we could
consider allowing hostnames in pg_hba.conf.  Is that a TODO?

Hm. DNS lookup would make postmaster startup last much longer, to have all addresses resolved. Usually installations will have only some well-known non-volatile networks configured, So I'd opt to not use DNS.

As for the IPv6 issue --- how prevalent is this problem. What OS
versions are affected? Has the user done something special to enable
this?

I can't remember to have opted for a IPV6 installation, so I believe my SuSE 8.1installs IPV6 by default now (and 8.2 too). Then I worked quite a while with 7.3 as usual, and was quite surprised about that IPV6 stuff when upgrading to 7.4.
This will probably be an issue more and more, when machines get IPV6 enabled (if by mistake, on purpose or default). The proposed patch will handle IPV4 clients as usual.

Regards,
Andreas

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend