Tom Lane wrote:

Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

So you are requiring the identical text to appear at the beginning and
end of the quote, rather than a here document that would be:

<<END
END

or in your example:

$$END
END

Yes, I was thinking of requiring the $$ to appear at both beginning and end. This is perhaps not critical, but it seems more symmetric that way. Also, we might even be able to get away with allowing SQL text to resume on the same line as the terminator, for example

        CREATE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS int AS $$FUNCTION
        ... text here ...
        $$FUNCTION LANGUAGE plpgsql;

I would not want to risk that with a plain word as terminator, but $$
helps a lot to make it distinctive.

This discussion now seems to be on the right track - thanks for recognising a need, meeting which will clearly improve the useability of the product.

cheers

andrew