Is there any chance we could have initdb show the version of postgresql
it is running as when initdb is run?

If you install many different versions in parallel, don't you give your
installation paths some meaning that contain the version number?  In any
case, you can run initdb --version first if you're not sure about what is
where.

Yes I do, but sometimes as different users you don't know what the path is. I guess I can just go --version.

Chris

     joining column's datatypes do not match