You could just as easily argue that the lack of integrity testing at data load time was equally a bug.

I think we need someway of telling postgres to suppress a foreign key check.

The main problem is that the foreign key column is often not indexed.

Chris

Bruce Momjian wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:

Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tom Lane wrote:

Well, we haven't even *got* a proposed patch yet, but yeah we should
tread carefully.

OK. What releases had this slow restore problem?

We introduced it in 7.3 --- before that, FKs were simply dumped as "create trigger" commands, and there was no check overhead. So arguably it is a bug; a performance bug maybe, but that's still a bug. No one has yet gone through a dump/reload cycle in which they had to face this penalty.

Now that is a strong argument. I knew you would find one. :-)

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings