I don't believe anyone would work against this, nor could I imagine that
anyone would think it was "a bad idea", I'm just curious as to how
possible it is to do ...

For most things probably not that possible. For things like:

Simple feature enhancements (preloading of libs)
Fixing pl/Language bugs (and making sure they still work on 7.3)
Buffer overflow fixes
Security problems (the fact that alter user/createuser with encrypted password ' will go into a .psqlhistory file is horrendous)
pg_dump/pg_restore enhancements

Would entirely be possible.

Sincerely,

Joshua rake

-- Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting. +1-503-222-2783 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com The most reliable support for the most reliable Open Source database.