regression=# UPDATE foo SET f2=now() WHERE f1=1;
ERROR:  deadlock detected
DETAIL:  Process 18122 waits for AccessExclusiveLock on relation 154635 of database
17139; blocked by process 18133.
Process 18133 waits for ShareLock on transaction 6330; blocked by process 18122.

The trouble here is that GIST indexes are not concurrency-safe.
This is on the TODO list but I fear it's not a small task ...

Wow, that's bad. I always thought the TODO item was talking about poor concurrent performance - not actual concurrency errors!

Chris

     joining column's datatypes do not match