Marc G. Fournier wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

I have been thinking it might be time to start allowing external
programs to be called when certain events occur that require
administrative attention --- this would be a good case for that.
Administrators could configure shell scripts to be run when the network
connection fails or servers drop off the network, alerting them to the
problem.  Throwing things into the server logs isn't _active_ enough.

Actually, apparently you can do this now ... there is apparently a "mail
module" for PostgreSQL that you can use to have the database send email's
out ...

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

I guess someting such as

CREATE TRIGGER my_trig ON BEGIN / COMMIT
        EXECUTE ...

would be nice. I think this can be used for many perposes (not necessarily 2PC).
If a trigger could handle database events and not just events on tables.

ON BEGIN
ON COMMIT
ON CREATE TABLE , ...

We could have used that so often in the past in countless applications.

Regards,

Hans

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706 or +43/660/816 40 77 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at