Christopher Kings-Lynne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Why do we support just 'zulu' and none of the other magic time zone names:
> http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/timezone.htm

AFAIK, zulu is the only one of those "military" designations that has
any currency at all.  I don't feel a strong need to import the rest
... particularly not the single-letter versions; the presence of those
would allow the system to accept many typos :-(

The real answer to all such questions, though, is that we ought not have
the set of known timezone names locked down in code at all.  It should
come from a user-alterable configuration file.  This would let us get
rid of "australian_timezones" as well as solve the perennial gripes from
out-of-the-way places that their favorite local zone name isn't
recognized.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster