--On Saturday, October 25, 2003 10:00:59 -0400 Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > BUT: The default CFLAGS are set by configure to -O2, although the
> > template wants -O.  I manually modified the CFLAGS to -O after
> > configure.
>
> template/alpha has:
>
>    case $host_cpu in
>      alpha*)   CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -O";;  # alpha has problems with -O2
>    esac
>
> Is this not getting invoked?

After further consideration, I think that the recent patch series that
tried to centralize the CFLAGS handling in configure should be reverted
to configure.in revision 1.293.  Otherwise, it's much to complicated to
handle all the special cases.  There is, after all, a reason we have been
forced to keep it this way all these years.

Remember the old code had CFLAGS="" in lots of platforms, meaning they got no optimization.

It seems right now Alpha is our only problem, and it is really just a
message problem because the later flags override the earlier ones.  Why
can't get just remove -O2 from the alpha CFLAGS line via makefile magic?
Frankly, we could just do CFLAGS="-O" and be done with it because we
would not be bringing in the -O2, but I would rather keep it clean and
remove just -O2.
We also get -g on UnixWare cc (NOT gcc) builds, which we didn't before, which means we do NOT get optimization (UnixWare's cc doesn't like
-O and -g together).

LER

-- Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749