Perhaps I am missing something, but the documentation on external storage appears remarkably sparse. It says it is better for substring searches, but otherwise doesn't say very much.

I have a table with two modest-length bytea fields (around 9K and 2K respectively) of already compressed data. I was looking for a clue as to whether or not these should use external storage - I suspect they should but I didn't see anything that gave me a definite answer.

I'd prepare doc updates on this if they were required but I don't have the requisite knowledge, nor time right now to go trawling endlessly to acquire it.

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [EMAIL PROTECTED])