Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

The "doesn't quite make the best use of PG" quote is one of the best
examples of buck-passing I've seen in awhile.  If Bugzilla had been
designed with some thought to DB independence to start with, we'd not
be having this discussion.

You have to laugh at an app that actually uses MySQL's replication to get around not having row locks!!!

And it actually has a sanity check feature for 'checking' your referential integrity.

I laughed so hard I cried.

And yet we use it at work :P

Bugzilla was put together by a guy who admitted he didn't know much about databases, IIRC. It worked and he was in a hurry.

This is a classic story of a piece of software that is far more long lasting and far more dirty than was originally intended - I have seen it before many times and I expect to see it until I die. I could tell many similar stories that would make you laugh/cry even harder, but this isn't the place or time :-)

Seriously, I have wondered if it might be a good idea to assemble a small "hit team" that would take some high profile open source projects and make sure they worked with Postgres. Bugzilla would be the most obvious candidate, but there are certainly others. I suspect that could be quite productive, though.

Thoughts?

andrew