Bruce Momjian wrote:
Agreed, we can't resize shared memory, but I don't think most OS's swap
out shared memory, and even if they do, they usually have a kernel
configuration parameter to lock it into kernel memory.  All the old
unixes locked the shared memory into kernel address space and in fact
this is why many of them required a kernel recompile to increase shared
memory.  I hope the ones that have pagable shared memory have a way to
prevent it --- at least FreeBSD does, not sure about Linux.

I'm pretty sure at least Linux, Solaris, and HPUX all work this way -- otherwise Oracle would have the same problem with their SGA, which is kept in shared memory.

Joe