I made up a more thorough regression test for date input formats, and
found that there were still some cases that were rejected :-(.  Attached
is a more complete patch that handles all month-name cases, and
explicitly can not change the behavior when there's not a textual month
name.  Documentation addition and regression test included.

I'd like some further review of this before I risk applying it to 7.4
though ... anyone have time today?

Hi Tom,

Everything passes for me on FreeBSD 4.8, latest CVS, "gmake check", with your patch applied.

Chris