Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 05:34:28PM +0100, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:

The reason why I came up with this posting is slightly different: Assume a JDBC application which works with PostgreSQL + some other database. If you want to use both databases without PostgreSQL being unnecessarily slow an implicit mechanism would be better. Because otherwise you will have an SQL command in there which is off standard - putting a switch into the application seems to be a fairly ugly solution.

That's why you delegate the job to something else, like pg_autovacuum or
cron ...

If you are in the middle of a data mining application using a tmp table you don't want to wait for cron ;). You might want the statistics to be correct as soon as the table has been created.

        Regards,
                Hans

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706 or +43/664/233 90 75 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at

http://archives.postgresql.org