Andreas Pflug wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:

I think the minimum amount of additional work that has to be done before
we can apply it is to teach psql's input parser about $QUOTE$ ---
without that, the feature is not only useless but counterproductive.

IMHO it's not useless. pgAdmin already knows that quoting scheme... not yet tested, I'll have to check that patch.

OTOH we sure want it for psql - being able to use this in scripts fed to psql is very important IMNSHO.

I see that psql/mainloop.c contains this comment:

* FIXME: rewrite this whole thing with flex

Is now the time to do that? It would be a pity if substantial changes were made here only to be thrown away ...

cheers

andrew