I think one way of attacking the problem would be using the existing
nbtree by allowing it to store the five btrees.  First read the README
in the nbtree dir, and then poke at the metapage's only structure.  You
will see that it has a BlockNumber to the root page of the index.  Try
modifying that to make it have a BlockNumber to every index's root page.
You will have to provide ways to access each root page and maybe other
nonstandard things (such as telling the root split operation what root
page are you going to split), but you will get recovery and concurrency
(at least to a point) for free.

Why not write it using the GiST interface - that is after all the entire point of GiST...

Chris

http://archives.postgresql.org