Is there a way do do it when I have some arbitrary query that returns a
result set?

In other words, I will be passed a SQL query.  I don't want to have to
parse it myself.

Rather, I want to know (for the bound columns) if a column is nullable
or not.

Is the functionality available in [for example] libpq?

      joining column's datatypes do not match