Tom Lane wrote:

Wait a minute.  I am *not* buying into any proposal that we need to
support ENABLE_THREAD_SAFETY on machines where libc is not thread-safe.
We have other things to do than adopt an open-ended commitment to work
around threading bugs on obsolete platforms.  I don't believe that any
sane application programmer is going to try to implement a
multi-threaded app on such a platform anyway.

I'd agree - convince Bruce and I'll replace the mutexes in thread.c with #error. But I think libpq should support a mutex around kerberos (or at least fail at runtime) - right now it's too easy to corrupt the kerberos authentication state.

--
   Manfred