Alex J. Avriette wrote:

I feel that it would be a very good thing if some thinking on this
subject was done. In the future, people will hopefully begin using
postgres for more intense applications. We are looking at perhaps many
tens of billions of transactions per day within the next year or two.

tens of billions =10e10 per day? This is probably a typo, because this would mean > 100,000 requests per second? Do you want to feed a monitor with pixel data right from the database, using individual queries for each pixel? Or record each irc user's keyclick in the world concurrently online in a single database?

Regards,
Andreas