Tom Lane wrote:

Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

andrew=# create table ab$cd$ef (ef$cd$ab text);
CREATE TABLE
andrew=# \d ab$cd$ef
Did not find any relation named "ab$cd$ef".

Hmph. I always thought that "$" was only special at the end of a regex, but that doesn't seem to be how our implementation treats it. Anyway this is not a bug, it is a feature: the argument of \d is a regex.

Arguably this at least is a singularly useless feature, since a regex-meaning $ before the end of string is a nonsense, as you rightly imply, and one at the end of the string is redundant, as it is implied - psql turns 'abc' into '^abc$' when constructing the query.

I don't care that much - I don't use $ in my identifiers.

cheers

andrew