Gavin Sherry wrote:
Is it possible to put WALs and CLOGs into different tablespaces? (maybe
different RAID systems). Some companies want that ...

I wasn't going to look at that just yet.

There is of course the temporary hack of symlinking WAL else where.

that's what we do now. we symlink databases and wals ...

I'd be interested to see the performance difference between WAL and data
on the same RAID/controller and WAL and data on different RAID/controller
with Jan's improvements to the buffer management.

Gavin

yes, that's what i am looking for. i should do some testing.

in case of enough i/o power additional cpus scale almost linearily (depending on the application of course; i have done some testing on a customer's aix box ...).
it would be interesting to see what jan's buffer strategy does (and bg writer) ...

-- Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria Tel: +43/2952/30706 or +43/664/233 90 75 www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match