Hi,

Please remind me again why the postmaster cannot close and open the log file when it receives a SIGHUP (to re-read configuration)? This was discussed before but I cannot remember if and why this was not possible or if the arguments are still valid after -l was added.

If this was possible it could even be done after re-reading the configuration and even use the value of a GUC variable for the log file name, which would allow us to change the value of -l without the need to restart (actualy, with a GUC variable set in postgresql.conf one could set the log without the -l, but would perhaps lose a few initial messages).

regards to all,
Fernando