Dear hackers,

please find attached a quick proof of concept for a 'pg_advisor' schema.

Well, the name is 'xpg_advisor' at the time, because it is not a system
schema hence it cannot starts with 'pg_'.

It appears that some support functions would be useful. I've noticed some
are available from pg_catalog, but I have not found yet what I was looking
for.

If you do not like some advices, just "DROP VIEW the_advice;"
If you do not like advices at all, just "DROP SCHEMA xpg_advisor;"

Have a nice day,

--
Fabien Coelho - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--

DROP SCHEMA xpg_advisor CASCADE;

CREATE SCHEMA xpg_advisor;

COMMENT ON SCHEMA xpg_advisor
IS 'various advices about database design or performance' ;

SET search_path TO xpg_advisor,pg_catalog;

--
-- DESIGN ADVICES (da_*)

-- tables without primary keys
--

CREATE VIEW da_tables_without_primary_key AS
SELECT n.nspname AS Schema, c.relname AS Name

COMMENT ON VIEW da_tables_without_primary_key
IS 'it is better to have a primary key on your tables';

-- SELECT * FROM da_tables_without_primary_key;

--
-- tables with composite primary keys?
--

CREATE VIEW da_tables_with_composite_primary_key AS
SELECT n.nspname AS Schema, c.relname AS Name
FROM pg_class AS c
  JOIN pg_namespace AS n ON (c.relnamespace=n.oid)
  JOIN pg_constraint AS o ON (o.conrelid=c.oid)
WHERE
  -- no comments about system catalogs.
  n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog','pg_toast','information_schema','xpg_advisor')
  -- only tables
  AND c.relkind = 'r'
  -- with a primary key
  AND c.relhaspkey
  -- the primary key constraint
  AND contype = 'p'
  -- more than 1 element in conkey
  AND array_upper(o.conkey, 1)>1
ORDER BY Schema ASC, Name ASC;

COMMENT ON VIEW da_tables_with_composite_primary_key
IS 'it may be considered a better design to have simple primary keys';

-- SELECT * FROM da_tables_with_composite_primary_key;

--
-- other ideas for later:
--

-- count summary of design advices?
-- how to SELECT COUNT(*) FROM [the view of which I have the oid]?
  JOIN pg_namespace AS n ON (c.relnamespace=n.oid)
WHERE
  -- xpg_advisor views
  n.nspname = 'xpg_advisor'
  -- only design advices
  AND c.relname LIKE 'da_%';

-- SELECT * FROM design_advices_summary;

--
-- PERFORMANCE ADVICES (pa_*)
--

-- count summary of performance advices?