You can't think that allowing the same name to appear
globally and locally is a good idea.

Actually, I do think it is a good idea.

If I say "GRANT TO foo", who am
I granting privileges to?

SET username_precedence TO LOCAL,GLOBAL; -- I like GLOBAL more than CLUSTER
GRANT TO foo;
SET username_precedence TO GLOBAL,LOCAL;
GRANT TO foo;

And I don't want to say that there is no
difference because they are the same user.

Agreed, they should be the same user.

That will open up some nasty
security holes, eg, being able to pretend that you are the global
postgres superuser if you can set the password for a local user by the
same name.

Agreed, but if a cluster is using LOCAL USERs, I doubt highly that CLUSTER/GLOBAL users would be in use much beyond super users. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden