Tom Lane wrote:
I've been looking at the planner performance problem exhibited by
Eric Brown:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-03/msg00273.php

While a nine-way join is inherently going to take some time to plan
(if you don't constrain the search space with JOIN), it seemed to me
that this particular query was taking even longer than I'd expect.

> I found that this reduced the planning time of Eric's
> query by about 40%, without changing the resulting plan.

More great news, as always. IIRC you recently bumped the default GEQO threshold from eleven to twelve. With your new fuzzy comparison patch is twelve still the appropriate number? Or does the fuzzy comparison scale all planning time down and therefore the default threshold should remain where it is?

Mike Mascari