Tom Lane wrote:

"Matthew T. O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

This is a good question, and I would like some opinions from some other
people more informed than I.

You *can not* vacuum other sessions' temp tables; you don't have access
to the data. (You have no way to get at pages that are modified in
someone else's local buffer manager.) You could vacuum your own temp
tables, if you had any, but I would hardly expect autovacuum to have
any.

Ok, so I will change pg_autovacuum to explicitly ignore temp tables. Just to be sure, I can do this by avoiding anything found in the pg_temp schemea, or is there a better way? Is it possible that a user could or would put a non-temp table the pg_temp schemea?

In reference to Chris' followup question, you *should* be vacuuming
system catalogs, and you *should not* be vacuuming TOAST tables.  VACUUM
on a regular table automatically hits the associated TOAST table.

Ok, this is as I thought, pg_autovacuum is already doing the right thing here. (see the post I just sent a few minutes ago for more details).

Thanks Tom,

Matthew