Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Even if we don't do that can we *please* put in something that
detects the error, and tells the user what they will have to do to
fix it? Failing in a situation which we know we can detect and not
telling the user is intolerable, IMNSHO.

Can you try a more recent version of autoconf and see if that behaves more tolerably?

tested with autoconf 2.59.

Unfortunately, it does not. It does try to copy if a link fails, unlike what we have now:

 ln -s $ac_rel_source $ac_dest 2>/dev/null ||
   ln $srcdir/$ac_source $ac_dest 2>/dev/null ||
   cp -p $srcdir/$ac_source $ac_dest ||

We don't have the last line, which must have been added since autoconf 2.53.

However, the problem is that the first line will actually appear to have succeeded, i.e. MSys's ln is lying to us ;-(

This comes from the autoconf macro _AC_OUTPUT_LINKS defined in its status.m4, which I guess is what we'd need to override (is that possible?) if we are going to detect the failure, or maybe there's some more magical way that in my unfamiliarity with autoconf I am unaware of.

cheers

andrew