Hi!

Tim Conrad wrote:
I was researching an article I wrote about a comparison between
Postgres and MySQL recently (If you want, you can read the article
at http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/). I noticed some clear
differences between the mysql.com website and the Postgres website.

Sorry, couldn't resist: may I suggest doing the research *before* writing an article, not *after*?

My favourite part of it is:
--------
MySQL uses traditional row-level locking. PostgreSQL uses something called Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) by default. MVCC is a little different from row-level locking in that transactions on the database are performed on a snapshot of the data and then serialized. New versions of PostgreSQL support standard row-level locking as an option, but MVCC is the preferred method.
--------

2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
   When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
   Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
   nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions. I know
   it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
   replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.

MySQL's roadmap is complete bullshit. Subselects were first promised in 4.0, which was "not that far away" [1] back in 1998! Well, they are in 4.1, which is still alpha in 2004.

Of course, some gullible people actually believe this and compare [2] the existing and working implementations with vaporware (MySQL 5.1, anyone?).

On those same lines, there doesn't seem to be anything about the
improvements in the minor versions. It seems that in every
release (i.e. 7.2,7.3,7.4) there are pretty significant changes,
but finding a place that outlines these changes is somewhat
difficult.

Have you tried looking in the release notes [3]?

[1] http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/194/1998/8/0/1061364/ [2] http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/20743/1763?supportItem=1 [3] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/release.html

     joining column's datatypes do not match