Hello,

I have a project I'm moving from mysql to postgresql. It has both a fair amount of code and a moderate amount of data. In MySQL the identifiers are all MixedCase, but the query strings are never quoted.

I would like to change the default behaviour of postgresql to not fold the case to lower. If I change scansup.c 's downcase_truncate_identifier() to not lowercase identifiers, will I break anything (other than case insensitivity?)

Furthermore, is there any way I could package this patch such that it would be accepted? A suggestion I received from #postgresql was to implement upper casing, lower casing, and leave-it-alone casing and to have a per-db setting for that. Another approach I wouldn't mind adding is a start-time option.

Thank you for CCing me, as I am not subbed to postgresql-hackers list.
--
nothing can happen inside a sphere
that you could not inscribe upon it.

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster