Marc G. Fournier wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Dear hackers,
>
> I wish to submit a small patch so that server includes and
> all necessary configuration files could be installed *by default*.
>
> The current status is that server includes files are only installed
> if explicitly required (make install-all-headers).
>
> The idea is that external extension modules (new types or whatever)
> could then *rely* on the fact that these files are available, which
> would make developping and installing these extensions quite easier.
>
> As an illustration, the apache software installs by default all
> necessary includes and even a special tailored command (apxs) so as
> to help extension modules to be compiled, installed and even configured
> easilly.
>
> Is there any opposition to this move? Silence will mean consent;-)

Agreed.  I would also like to see Makefile.global installed.
pg_config.h has C-level configs, and Makefile.global has the
Makefile-level configs.

Don't agree with Makefile.global, cause then you have to also install the physical template files for the various operating system too, no? What else does Makefile.global rely on?

Depending on the OS you also need funny things like mkldexport shell scripts and the like. I thought we had a consensus of providing a template build environment for external modules. This half-baked attempt is not doing it. The makefiles make assumptions about their location that aren't true any more when they're installed somewhere else.

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?