Gaetano Mendola wrote:
I well understand the reason to wait a 7.5 in order to delivery
BIG changes that are requiring a initdb, but I don't understand
why little enhancement can not be delivered in a 7.4.3 ( may be
with a short period with a 7.4.3beta ) like the "vacuum delayed".

I don't think this is a good idea.

It would risk destabilizing a known-to-be-stable release series. It is very important that we keep 7.4.x a platform that people feel comfortable deploying in a production environment.

It would also require additional development resources to back port the changes, and do the (fairly extensive) testing required to verify that they haven't caused any regressions (see the point about stability above). We have a finite amount of development resources, and I think the past consensus is that they are best spent developing for the next major release.

I think that delivering some improvements in the 7.4.3 will permit
to delay a month the 7.5 without the pain to wait too long for some
enhancements.

Even without new features in 7.4, I don't really see the danger of a slow-paced 7.5 release: production environments aren't eager to upgrade their DBMS every six months, and the pain of an initdb applies no matter how frequently we make major releases.

-Neil