Jan Wieck wrote:

If I remore the whole -rpath thing, and remove the two -L options and the -lpq and -lpgport, and add the libpq.a and libpgport.a explicitly to the linker call, the psql executable on my Linux box grows from 421761 to 677682 bytes in size. It is still shared linked against libc, libz, libreadline and a bunch of otheres, but all of them are in /lib or /usr/lib, so they are standard or system libraries. It does not depend on a libpq.so any more, and that is what we want.

One of the reasons I originally suggested an explicit 'relocatable' config option was worry about the rpath thing. Maybe I should have raised red flags a bit more ;-)

Static linking against libpq would have considerable advantages for the Windows port (see recent discussion regarding library search paths on W32 on the w32-hackers list).

cheers

andrew