Couple of quick protocol questions:

1) What encoding is used for strings sent and received during the startup phase? I can set client_encoding to a known value as a parameter in the startup packet, but the protocol spec doesn't appear to say how the startup packet itself and the various strings sent/received during startup (e.g. authentication, error messages) are encoded.

2) At what point in the stream does a client_encoding change take effect -- immediately after the corresponding ParameterStatus message, or at some other point?

-O

http://archives.postgresql.org