Found the problem. If I have a very long environment variable exported and I start PG, PG crashes when I try to load PG/Tcl. In my case I use color ls and I have a very long LS_COLORS environment variable set.

I have duplicated the problem by renaming my .bashrc and logging back in. With this clean environment, I started PG and loaded PG/Tcl without any problems. I then created the following environment variable on the command line:

LONG_VAR=aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb:cccccccccccccccccc: ddddddddddddddddddd:eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:fffffffffffffff: ggggggggggggggggg:hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii: jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj:kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk:llllllllllllllllllll: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn: ooooooooooooooooooooooo:pppppppppppppppppppppp:qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq: rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:ssssssssssssssssssssssssss: ttttttttttttttttttttttttttt:uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu: vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv:wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

and exported it. (Obviously the line above is going to be broken into multiple lines by the mailer...).

Then I stopped and restarted PG, loaded PG/Tcl and PG crashed. You *must* stop and restart PG for the problem to exhibit itself, otherwise it won't pick up the change in the environment. I suspect I'm running into a buffer overflow situation.

Ok, it fails consistently when LONG_VAR is 523 characters or greater; works consistently when LONG_VAR is 522 characters or smaller. Might not fail at the same number for others.

/s.

To prove that this was the problem, I cleaned out my environment by moving my .bashrc file to another name, logged out, logged in, start