Albretch wrote:

 After RTFM and googling for this piece of info, I think PostgreSQL
has no such a feature.

Why not?

 . Isn't RAM cheap enough nowadays? RAM is indeed so cheap that you
could design diskless combinations of OS + firewall + web servers
entirely running off RAM. Anything needing persistence you will send
to the backend DB then
 . Granted, coding a small Data Structure with the exact functionality
you need will do exactly this "keeping the table's data on the heap".
But why doing this if this is what DBMS have been designed for in the
first place? And also, each custom coded DB functionality will have to
be maintaned.

 Is there any way or at least elegant hack to do this?

 I don't see a technically convincing explanation to what could be a
design decision, could you explain to me the rationale behind it, if
any?

If you access a table more frequently then other and you have enough
RAM your OS will mantain that table on RAM, don't you think ?
BTW if you trust on your UPS I'm sure you are able to create a RAM
disk and place that table in RAM.

Regards Gaetano Mendola

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend