(moved to -hackers)

If you use sufficiently long table/field names then different tables
could truncate to the same generated names, and in that case there's
some risk of concurrently choosing the same "unique" name.  But I don't
recall anyone having complained of that since we started using this
technique for choosing index names, so I'm not very worried.  Basically
what this commit did was propagate the index naming technique to
constraints and sequences.

Is it conceivable that different SERIAL sequence names could now be generated?

ie.  If I upgrade from 7.4 with a dump that looks like this:

CREATE TABLE blah (
        id SERIAL
);

COPY ...

SELECT SETVAL('blah_id_seq', 10);

Then if the name given to the id sequence is now different, these dumps will not restore. (In this case it will be the same, I'm just illustrating the general problem of hard-coding those sequence names in the dump - I've never liked it :) )

Chris