On Jun 23, 2004, at 11:36 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

David Garamond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 09:16:35PM -0400, Alexander Cohen wrote:
Does anyone have any new ways to create clusters without using initdb
or bootstrap mode? I need to be able to create one without those 2
things. Any ideas?

initdb'ing somewhere else and copying the resulting directory?

Btw, I've been doing this for a binary distribution on Windows (Cygwin)
and Linux.

Yeah, that would work fine as long as the "somewhere else" is using an identical Postgres build. I found out in off-list conversation that Alexander wants to build a hacked-up version of Postgres with all bootstrap code removed (and, I suppose, a bunch of other changes too). Seems to me that file-level compatibility would be difficult to guarantee under such circumstances, so I told him he ought to put back the bootstrap support ... it's not like it's large ...

For the meantime, i ended up compiling a normal version of postgres and using that with initdb, then switching it over to my "hacked-up" version. It works, and thats all i need for now!

Alex

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster