Tom Lane wrote:

Mike Benoit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 18:38 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

If we change the syntax, say by using SUBCOMMIT/SUBABORT for
subtransactions, then using a simple ABORT would abort the whole
transaction tree.

But then we're back to the application having to know if its in a
regular transaction or a sub-transaction aren't we? To me that sounds
just as bad.

Someone (I forget who at this late hour) gave several cogent arguments that that's *exactly* what we want. Please see the prior discussion...

Right at the moment I think we have a consensus that we should use
SUBBEGIN/SUBEND or some such keywords for subtransactions.  (I do not
say we've agreed to exactly those keywords, only that it's a good idea
to make them different from the outer-level BEGIN/END keywords.)

Either approach still needs some mechanism to clear the current stack of transactions and subtransactions. That's why I was thinking ABORT ALL and ROLLBACK ALL would be sufficient to cover that and be clear enough to the user/programmer.

There was also some talk of offering commands based around the notion of
savepoints, but I'm not sure that we have a consensus on that yet.

     joining column's datatypes do not match