Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:
That about covers the important stuff.  Some more for the "other" bucket
(although they all came repeatedly):

- so how do I pronounce "Postgre"?

On the "Postgre" point, I remarked to some friendly people (who are
developing a content management system based on postgres, by the way)
that we ought to have something like "just call me Postgres" posters in
our booth.  It turned out they had the gear to cut stickers in letter
shapes, so a little while later we actually had those words plastered
over our booth walls.  I think we got most interested passers-by before
they had a chance to read it, though.

I've argued for years that postgresql.org's front banner should read:

Postgres + SQL = PostgreSQL

The fact that novices can't pronounce the name correctly is a problem. People will be afraid to raise the possibility as a solution in the enterprise if they think they'll look like a fool pronouncing the name aloud. I remember back in '94 being "corrected" when talking about Linux in the enterprise - and I was corrected in the wrong direction.

Someone needs to poke the propaganda minister with a stick.

Mike Mascari

http://archives.postgresql.org