Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

 need_paren = (PRETTY_PAREN(context) ?
                               !IsA(op->rarg, RangeTblRef) : true);

In a quick glance this code seems close to completely brain dead :-( For one thing, why isn't it making separate determinations about whether the left and right inputs of the UNION (resp INTERSECT or EXCEPT) operator need to be parenthesized? After that maybe we could figure out what the individual decisions need to be.

So what are we going to do about it?

Was it one of the pgAdmin guys who wrote it in the first place?

Yep, me. It was still on my radar to fix; not surprising, Tom was faster.

I'll have a look at the "braindead" issue.

Regards,

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match